Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Genie and the Sandman

Blurb:
After an exhausting journey through an alternate dimension, Payton Wren and Logan McCullough thought they'd finally found their way home only to discover three glowing moons shining down on them from the sky. In this new world, Logan and Payton both discover surprising things about their families that endanger the possibility of returning to their own dimension. To top it off, she learns she has the ability to grant wishes—an ability much coveted by federal agents, who will do anything to obtain the secrets of the well.
When the pair is only one wish away from returning to their own world, they instead have to jump to a new dimension. But will this one kill them before they have a chance to discover what powers she has that might help them?

Buy Link
 

Excerpt:

 My hands gripped into fists as I let rage sweep over me. I welcomed it. It cleared my mind and allowed me to focus. The heat of my glare, if it became a physical thing, would surely have burned through the driver, who regarded me solemnly.
He tucked the gun he held into his belt behind his back and then raised his hands to appear gentle. "I didn't want any of this to happen, kid."
His voice might have sounded contrite, but there was no mistaking the cold, determined look in his eyes. Those eyes spoke volumes to me. Telling me things he would never speak aloud. Whatever it took, no matter who or what got in his way, he would have his answers. The precious well was all that mattered. Several deep breaths later, I asked the fateful question. "Is he dead?"
"Not yet. But he will be if he's not taken to a hospital right now."
"Then take him."
He regarded me thoughtfully. "You're pretty broken up about a guy who turned you in to the feds."
"I know you can grant wishes, and disappear."
"Oh, I can do a lot more than that," I baited him, making my voice soft and mysterious. "I can take you places you can't even begin to imagine. Make your wildest dreams come true." I crept as close as I dared, lest I be sent whirling through space again. From where I now stood I could see the pitiful, strained—but welcome, all the same—breaths Logan took. Faint hope remained. Hang on!
"That's a big promise you make, considering I only get three wishes."
So, he did know the rules. "I am not from this place, this world." Time was running out for Logan, and I had to talk fast.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean I am not the Payton Wren from this dimension. And that is not the same Logan McCullough." He appeared intrigued; I could tell by his gleaming, beady-eyed, rat-faced look.
Come closer little rat. Take the bait.
"We came here through a tunnel by the graveyard. It leads to other worlds, other dimensions. There's so much more to all of this than just a lousy wishing well. It's the find of the century. Just think of it."
Come closer...
"It's not true. It's too fantastic to be true."
But a magic wishing well was believable? "I can prove it."
"How?" He practically rubbed his hands together in glee. Closer...
Now was the moment of truth. The time to see if what Logan and I had talked about could actually be done. "You need to make a wish. A very special wish." I crossed my fingers that he would take the bait.
"I don't want to waste a wish. I could make one right now, and you couldn't stop me."
"True. But before the words are out of your mouth, I'll disappear again. You've seen me do it; it's another one of my powers. Next time, I won't come back. If I did, it would be too late. Logan would be dead. There would be no point." I let him stew on that for a moment. "Your choice. All I'm asking for is one wish."

Interview:
1. I write because…    My mind's always been filled with stories and characters.  As soon as I get something down on paper, another bunch takes over, vying for attention.
2. If I were your favorite cookie, what would I be?     White chocolate chip cookie.
3. Plotter or pantster?      Definitely a pantster.  I love to experience the action as my heroine/hero lives it.
4. What is your favorite type of character to write about and why?   I love to write about young women. How they face and overcome difficult situations and discover an inner strength they didn't know they possessed.
5. Hamburgers or sushi?      Burgers for sure.
6. Name three things on your desk.     Picture of my boys. Notebook. Laser light to distract the cats.
7. What books have influenced your writing style?     I love to read historical fiction and romance.  My home library overflows with books by Jude Deveraux, Philippa Gregory, Margaret George, Elizabeth Chadwick, Anne Easter Smith, and Diana Gabaldon.
8. Tell us a little about your book.  Genie and the Sandman is the second book in the series 'The Diary of Payton Wren' about the adventures of Payton and Logan being trapped in a mysterious tunnel, which leads them to different worlds, and their struggles to find their way back home.
9. What advice do you have for new and aspiring authors?     Write every day, and read anything/everything you can get your hands on.
10. What is next on your writerly horizon?    I'm currently working on a ghost story about a young woman who is being audited by the government for her 'ghost busting' tax deductions. The only way to legitimize her 'right offs' and her business is to take the handsome auditor on a ghostly mystery with her to a creepy old house.

Top 5 favorite (pick one) desserts, movies, things to eat, ice cream flavors, books.

Books: Wild Orchids by Jude Deveraux. Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George. Remembrance by Jude Deveraux. And Eternity by Maggie Shayne.


Born in Ontario, Julie Parker began her writing career at an early age, creating her first stories as soon as she could hold a pencil. She still lives in Ontario, with her husband, two teen-age sons and two cats.
Julie began writing novels while as a stay at home mom raising her two sons. When her youngest son began grade one, Julie returned to work, spending six years at the neighborhood library, which reinforced her love of books.
She has dedicated a lot of her time to reading about and researching the paranormal and medieval times—her favorite era—and developing her own stories. Her first short story was sold in November 2009, followed by several contest wins and more contracts.
Julie loves to hear from her readers. You can contact her at parkerjulie84@yahoo.com, or visit her web page http://julieparker.yolasite.com/ .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!